Timeframe for 3b Medical Release?
Ted
2006-02-02 22:24:38 UTC
Good evening, fellow newsgroupies!

I have a question to pose and being an Old School Geek, I shall pose my
pose to the group properly and invoke the Oracle. O ye great and mighty
Usenet Oracle, endowed with the wisdom of the Universe, I beseech thee to
incarnate and bequeath me thine most gracious succour! [LOL] I reckon nobody
gets the humour these days but I couldn't resist... [snicker]

Anyhoo, In March my doctor will be starting work on a 3b medical
release due to reparatory condition with which I was diagnosed 2 1/2 years
ago and has steadily worsened. My question is simple - once the ball starts
rolling on the release paperwork, what timeframe am I looking for the admin
to be completed and actually be released?

I've been told 16 to 24 months - an acquaintance of mine was recently
released on a 3b and the process took approximately 17 months. Are these
timeframes in the right ballpark and/or typical?

My concern is simple - I just need to have a rough idea when to start
firing off my resume to prospective employers as I'd like to make the
transition to my civilian career as smooth as possible.

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

Cheers,

Ted
X441
2006-03-02 22:51:19 UTC
Ted,

I was just released on 4 Jan 06. That date, was given to me, back on 18
Jun 05, as is required, 6 months in advance of actual release date.
Prior to that, 17 May 05 was my first contact with the Case Manager, 19
Apr 05 I received my disclosure, (which you have 15 days to provide a
representation on your behalf (for or against)), my med file had been
reviewed by DMCARM 5-3 on 14 Apr 05, the administrative review for my
MEL was completed 9 Jul 04 by D Med Pol, and received by DMCARM on 22
Jul 04. So I guess from time of permanent category, to actual release
date, 545 days, or 1 year-5 months-27 days, or, 77 weeks! A couple
temporary categories prior to that, so I knew that it would eventually
happen. You can hurry it up, if you desire, or you can let the cogs of
the system turn as they do.

Don't forget that as a 3B release, you would most likely qualify for
vocational rehab trg thru SISIP. 6 months prior to release date, you are
entitled to start OJT at a prospective employer. Education expenses are
covered for those 6 months, and for 24 months following release date,
through voc rehab.

I am currently on retirement leave, which is leave left over, saved up,
not used, accrued through the time in the CF, and will continue to
receive regular paychecks for another 4-1/2 months after 4 Jan.

RC
Ted
Marc Vunak
2006-02-03 07:57:57 UTC
X441, I think you have the six months of vocational rehab from DCSA mixed up
with the subsequent possible 24 months from SISIP. I do recall reading
somewhere though that if you the 6 months from the military it voided the 2
years from SISIP.

Ted,

Couple of points about the 6 months:

CO must approve your plan
Must be releasing within 6 months
And if voc rehab is in a different location than your unit, no TD unless CO
is generous

Anywhere from 14-18 months for a final decision, that can still be grieved
and if successful restart the process.

Please what ever you do provide some representation on your own behalf
during the process, you are offered the chance so take it. Sometimes if all
the board has to go is some numbers and limited input from the CO, it could
make a difference.

If you have DIN access at your work, email me and I can send you some links
for your own education. I am the only one with the name on the system.
Ted
X441
2006-03-03 12:41:37 UTC
Thanks Marc, We both sort of had it. The following is pulled from the
SISIP site:

"Early Vocational Rehabilitation Interventions
(6 months prior to release)

Early Interventions will be provided under the following circumstances:

* Advice on the development of a vocational plan may be provided in
advance of the effective date of release;
* The claim status must be either pending or approved before any
funds may be committed to the vocational support; and
* Once a vocational plan has been approved, the claimant will be
provided with a letter of support. The claimant will then submit the
letter, through the chain of command, to the Commanding Officer
requesting approval to implement an early VRP."

In no way does this void the 24 month post-release benefits from SISIP.
I do know this: I took off the uniform some time in July (6 months prior
to my release date of 4 Jan)- DND still sends me my regular pay. I was
working OJT, downtown with my future "employer" (of sorts). In
September, I started courses towards my future employment (which SISIP
Voc Rehab has paid for). For 24 months after my release date, SISIP will
continue to pay for any education costs towards my second career, and
will ensure I get topped up to at least 75% of my current salary (on a
monthly basis)

http://www.dnd.ca/hr/centre/pdf/ddbenefits_e.pdf
http://www.sisip.ca/en/Insurance_e/vrp_e.asp

Yes, the situation can be grieved, and if successful, become null and
void. If not successful, the process continues on from where it left off.

Marc, not to minimize your contributions, but, Ted, if you want more
information, contact a case manager, SISIP, The Centre, and VAC. And of
course, follow any links that Marc or I provide you, that you may find
useful.
Ted
Patrick Savoie
2006-02-03 01:08:22 UTC
Post by Ted
[...]
From the moment the Base Surgeon announced to my wife that he would
recommend medical release to her actual release was approx 18 months. Make
sure you have a good understanding of the SISIP benefits as they are
actually very good.

Pat
nobody
2006-02-06 04:40:46 UTC
Post by Ted
[...]
I'm not trying to provoke anything and I've been out of the green
machine nearly 20 years, so I'm completely ignorant of the current admin
procedures. And I don't know anything about you. But.,... your question
got me thinking.

If there is a concern about post-release employment, what is wrong with
starting now? If an offer comes up before the release is finalized,
would it not be possible to take LWOP?

This may be completely impractical and cost ineffective, but could
something like this work?

Back to the peanut gallery....
Patrick Savoie
2006-02-06 21:03:57 UTC
Post by nobody
Post by Ted
[...]
LWOP is, in my experience, very difficult to obtain for the average Joe in
the CF. I have been personally involved in three different LWOP request and
all were unsucessful. After a lot of research, it became apparent that LWOP
is rarely granted.

The only successful LWOP requests I have been able to find out about
involved officiers going for post-graduate degrees ..masters mostly.

Before LWOP can even be requested, all leave must be expended (annual,
accumulated,etc..) so arranging it with the different end-of-career leave
would be difficult.

My 2-cents worth

Pat